Indexing the mailing list (was:Re: FW: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?)

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 06:30:15PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 02:57:59PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> > All the severe usability and freedom-of-choice issues that hamper web boards
> > aside, the only thing starting a redundant forum serves to do is fracture the
> > user base.  This is a Bad Thing, and serves only to harm users by making it
> > exponentially more difficult to find the information you need.
>
> Seconded.  This mailing list already exists as a newsgroup (via gmane) and
> has a web interface (via Google Groups).  What more do you want?

What I'd like is a decent index.  I haven't found the existing automatic
indexes to be very useful.  Perhaps human beings need to classify the
messages in some way ... but I imagine there would be difficulty in
getting enough people to do the indexing.  And the design of the
classificatin system probably needs the attention of professional
librarians.

Still, this idea might be worth opening for discussion.

-- hendrik