Re: FW: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Saturday 27 August 2005 07:15 pm, Andy Streich wrote:
> As a supplement to (not replacement for) this email list, I'd really love
> to see a weblog where anyone who registers (just like we subscribe to this
> list) can post questions and comments.  Ideally when signing up for a list
> you could choose to be a weblog user or a mailing-list user or both.  Posts
> and comments on the blog would be sent to the list and vice versa.

All the severe usability and freedom-of-choice issues that hamper web boards
aside, the only thing starting a redundant forum serves to do is fracture the
user base.  This is a Bad Thing, and serves only to harm users by making it
exponentially more difficult to find the information you need.