Re: FW: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Saturday 27 August 2005 01:25 pm, David Christensen wrote:
> debian-user:
>
> Here's the final tally:
>
>      clearly voted "reply to list"            6
>      clearly enough voted "reply to sender"   2
>      clearly abstained                        1
>      other                                  ~86
>

> Thank you all for the quantity and quality of discussion on this
thread.  :-)

> I conclude that:
>
> 1.  Many debian-user mailing list users want their replies to be
>     directed to the mailing list most of the time.
>
> 2.  The debian-user mailing list facilitates "Reply to List"
>     functionality, but many mail client programs in common use
>     (including mine) lack the feature(s) necessary to use it.
>
> 3.  Many mailing lists have implemented a work-around whereby they set
>     the "Reply-To" message header so that replies are directed to the
>     list when the reader activates the "Reply" feature of their mail
>     client.
>
> 4.  Users with mail client software lacking the "Reply to List" feature
>     have grown accustomed to the work-around behavior because it does
>     what they expect.  They are unpleasantly surprised when they reply
>     to a message from this list and it goes to the sender.
>
> 5.  The work-around breaks key functionality from the sender's
>     perspective if they have deliberately set the "Reply-To" header, or
>     if it has been set on their behalf.
>
> 6.  Advanced debian-user mailing list senders depend upon correct
>     mailing list operation, including respect of the "Reply-To" header,
>     and would be adversely impacted by the work-around.
>
> 7.  Some debian-user mailing list senders are zealous about this issue.
>

> I have some ideas for a solution:
>
> 1.  Educate debian-user mailing list readers (especially new ones) on
>     this issue.  Put information into a new reader "Welcome" letter.
>     Put information into a FAQ.  Make it prominent and easy to find.
>
> 2.  Write an open-source "Reply to List" feature (plug-in?) for common
>     mail clients missing such.
>
> 3.  Add per-user-configurable options to the debian-user mailing list
>     software to set the "Reply-To" header, subject to message direction
>     (user sending to list, user receiving from list), exceptions
>     (always set, only set when not set), and/or other relevant criteria.
>

> I hereby volunteer to help implement a solution to the "reply to list for
> brain-dead MUA's" problem, per the above or any other good idea(s), with the
> caveat that my time be used effectively.

(Having just pushed the "reply to list" button in KMail...)

Great job summarizing the discussion and vote, David.  I like your solutions
and, in the same spirit of offering ideas that I can't implement on my own,
here's mine:

As a supplement to (not replacement for) this email list, I'd really love to
see a weblog where anyone who registers (just like we subscribe to this list)
can post questions and comments.  Ideally when signing up for a list you
could choose to be a weblog user or a mailing-list user or both.  Posts and
comments on the blog would be sent to the list and vice versa.

Opensource blog software is pretty good these days and simple to set up (at
least Wordpress, the only one I've personally setup, is).

The whole blog paradigm is especially well suited to the kind of conversations
that go on here.

I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers to help with maintenance,
moderation, etc.

Wouldn't it be nice to actually use modern computer technology to aid people
who are eager to use and promote Debian software?  (Apologies in advance for
what might appear as a snide remark.  It's not intended that way.)

Andy