Re: FW: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

Andy Streich wrote:

On Saturday 27 August 2005 01:25 pm, David Christensen wrote:

(Having just pushed the "reply to list" button in KMail...) Great job summarizing the discussion and vote, David. I like your solutions and, in the same spirit of offering ideas that I can't implement on my own, here's mine:

As a supplement to (not replacement for) this email list, I'd really love to see a weblog where anyone who registers (just like we subscribe to this list) can post questions and comments. Ideally when signing up for a list you could choose to be a weblog user or a mailing-list user or both. Posts and comments on the blog would be sent to the list and vice versa.
One problem I have with web forums is that
1. I cannot start reading it where I left off one week back
2. I need to run a GUI to read the forum
3. To additional advantage as compared to mailing lists => no incentive to switch.

But with the mailing lists, I can just continue reading the unread messages even after one week or so. There probably is such a facility by giving out RSS feed etc., but then I would be using a email client to read the unread messages. In such a case, I would be better of reading debian-user as a mailing list.

Moreover mailing lists does not require a GUI.

Wouldn't it be nice to actually use modern computer technology to aid people who are eager to use and promote Debian software? (Apologies in advance for what might appear as a snide remark. It's not intended that way.)
No IMHO. Latest does not mean that people should go and embrace it. Even if majority of people want to embrace the latest technology we need not adopt it. We should switch technologies only if there is an added advantage for US. For example you wont dist-upgrade your sid box on a daily basis to latest software do you?

IIRC there have been some forums setup to help debian users. But they were never a success.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Graduate Student, MAE