Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

Gregory Seidman wrote:

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 06:32:23AM +0100, Wulfy wrote:
[...]
} I find your side's evangelical zeal a little grating. If you have a } case, make it without calling those who disagree with you "brain-dead" } and "in denial". I thought there were standards of behaviour on this } list. Apparently, they only apply to those who disagree with you.

First off, no one called you or anyone else brain-dead. What was labeled as
brain-dead was your mail program of choice which does not honor
Mail-Followup-To and does not handle list replies elegantly. Even your
choice of mail program was not attacked, though I'd suggest that, having
been enlightened about the existence of better mail programs you might want
to change.

First, thank you for your polite reply.  This is more the standard I expect on e-mail lists.

<quote src="Marc Wilson">

Oh, you use a brain-dead mailer that thinks it knows better than you?  Your
loss.  Think about it.

</quote>

If the mailer is "brain-dead" and I think it knows better than I do (if I didn't, why would I use it? I'd craft my e-mails in a text editor and hand send them, rather than using a tool specifically designed to do it for me.) what does that make me?

I have had some ideas from this thread. It should not be difficult to make e-mail clients have 4 buttons: Reply-To-Sender, Reply-To-List, Reply-To-All and Forward. Mozilla clients would only need a small change in the xul. Unfortunately, I don't program xul...

But even if such patches were produced, how difficult would it be to get them adopted in Debian? Or up-stream? I have no answers for these questions, but the attitude of Marc Wilson and Paul Smith make it less likely I'd ask anything on this list. That makes me sad as this is a wonderful resource, squandered by bad manners.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.