Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

Marc Wilson wrote:

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 06:05:21PM +1000, charlie wrote:
Am new here, but think that reply to list is standard on all Linux learning lists?

You'd be wrong.  Dead wrong.

Personally, my belief is that Reply-To is for idiots.  Push the damn button
already depending on where YOU expect the message to go (where it goes is
where *I* damn well expect it to go, and nowhere else), and get on with
things.
When I get a personal e-mail from someone, I expect the Reply-To button to reply to them. When I get an e-mail from a *list* I expect the Reply-To button to reply to the *list* as that is where the e-mail came from. Every other list I am a member of, including Yahoo Groups, SmartGroups and various academic lists do that. They work as expected. It is only Debian lists that have this strange fetish of demanding replies to the list and yet sending them to individuals.

Just because Mutt has a button Reply-To-Lists doesn't mean every client has to.

Oh, you use a brain-dead mailer that thinks it knows better than you?  Your
loss.  Think about it.

And just because someone disagrees with you, is no reason to be a snotty jerk.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.