Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

%% Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

  w> When I get a personal e-mail from someone, I expect the Reply-To
  w> button to reply to them.  When I get an e-mail from a *list* I
  w> expect the Reply-To button to reply to the *list* as that is where
  w> the e-mail came from.

No it didn't.  Mailing lists aren't AI programs: they can't write email.
The email came from another person.  In fact, it came from the person in
the Reply-To field (or the From field if there's no Reply-To).

  w> Every other list I am a member of, including Yahoo Groups,
  w> SmartGroups and various academic lists do that.

Funny.  We must run in very different circles: every other list _I'm_ a
member of, including all the GNU mailing lists, the other Debian lists,
the SourceForge lists, Gnome lists, etc. etc... even the internal
mailing lists at work, all work the RIGHT way; the same way Debian does:
they don't molest Reply-To.

Anyway, this argument is as common as it is fruitless.  The Reply-To
Munging Considered Harmful doc has all the reasons why people oppose
Reply-To munging.  To me the most critical one is that by removing
Reply-To you're destroying information on how to send mail to the
original poster... in fact these days you might have destroyed the only
possible valid way to respond to the poster.  Other people have other
favorites.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortel.com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
        These are my opinions--Nortel takes no responsibility for them.