Re: Apt-Get udev and the Newest Kernel

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:05:47 -0400, David R Litwin
<presently42@gmail.com> said:

> I read entirely through the Creating Custom Kernels with Debian's
> Kernel-Package System and I don't think I really feel like doing
> that.  It seems ridiculously elaborate.

Phase ONE: Getting and configuring the kernel
 1% cd <kernel source tree> (make sure you have write permission there)
 2% make config # or make menuconfig or make xconfig (or, for 2.6.x
    kernels, make gconfig) and configure

Phase TWO: Create a portable kernel image .deb file
 3% make-kpkg clean
 4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
      (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
      sudo are examples that come to mind).  NOTE: if you have
      instructed your boot loader to expect initrd kernels (which is
      the norm for recent official kernel image packages) you need to
      add --initrd to the line above.
   % $Get_Root make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
      Personally, I prefer non initrd images for my personal machines,
      since then adding third party modules to the machine has fewer
      gotchas
Phase THREE: Install the kernel image on one or more machines
 5# dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb

 With the addition of fakeroot ( a really nice program, I recommend
 it). Steps 1 to 4 can be carried out as a non root user. Step 5 does
 require root privileges.

        If this is ridiculously complex, umm. are you sure you want to
 be running Sid?

        manoj
--
A guy has to get fresh once in a while so a girl doesn't lose her
confidence.