Re: usb issues in sarge: scanner, multicard

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:59:25PM +0200, Bob Vloon wrote:
> Hi Antonio,
>
> >> 6) examine "/var/log/messages". It *should* say something :-)) Send in
> >>    the relevant output (lines are marked with "default.hotplug")..
>
> AR> and here is what I got:
> AR> tail -f /var/log/messages
> AR> Aug 15 20:18:47 localhost -- MARK --
> <snap>
> AR> etc/hotplug/usb.agent ()
>
> These are the messages related to the device being disconnected (see the
> lines containing "ACTION=remove". ACTION should be "add", and these line(s)
> occur after an "USB connect" message).

Well, what happened is that the kernel never reacted when I connected
it back.

> But, before retrying and sending the logging, make sure that the instructions
>  set -x
>  exec 2>/tmp/FILENAME
> are added to the following files:
>  * /etc/hotplug.d/usb/"
>  * /etc/hotplug/usb.agent.
> Place the after the line "#!/bin/sh". This enables debugging in Bash, and is
> quite handy.

I will these instructions next

> Replace "FILENAME" with "libsane.hotplug" and "usb.agent" respectively.
> Attach the resulting files and send them in (you might want to compress the
> logging produced by "usb.agent")..  I'm getting more curious :)
>
> BTW: I assume that the IRQ- messages are harmless, but I might be proven
> wrong..

I have the feeling that they are related to the problem, because it
happens always when I connect anything to a usb port for the first
time after rebooting. After that first time, no more reaction from the
kernel.