Re: AMD64 question...

Brad Sims wrote:

>I am thinking of switching to an AMD64 processor... I am currently running
>kernel 2.4.27-2-k7. I really don't wanna switch to a 2.6 series kernel if I don't
>have to... I presume I can simply install the -386 versions of the packages
>and have them work; correct?

Yes. If you are using Amd64 processor in 32-bit mode it is the same as
using Athlon XP. So you can continue to use the same kernel, except that
the kernel might not have support for the new hardware and such.

2.6 is much better for Amd64 because it has much more support for the
hardware that you might be running. Also there is very poor support for
Amd64 in the 2.4 kernel - Amd64 wasn't around back during the 2.3.x days.

>Can I continue to run my -k7 kernel on an AMD64? If not then what is the
>minimum packages I will need to install to run this? I do not intend to go to
>pure 64bit at this time.

Yes.