Re: No Screens Found

Cecil wrote:

The screen section is just as you reproduced it, I am just too lazy to  type
all the same info time after time.  I'm running back and forth between two
computers, trying to type onto the one what I saw on the other.

sorry, should have guessed. Are your machine's networked? can they be? ssh saved my butt last week as my Trident card doesn't work with current (at that time) x.org and left my screen unreadable, even the virtual terminals. ssh'd in from another box, and edited and /etc/init.d/xdm restart'ed to my hearts content. Something really cool about restarting X on another machine like that. anyway, might help eliminate the "sneaker-net"

Nothing was saved, as I had nothing personal on the machine and I had no
expectation that the system files would not function properly, or that a
configuration would not be identical if given the same parameters, and I was
really doing the installation to get the Ext3 fs

I've done that before too..

all I can say is, go over the configs with a fine-toothed comb.
everytime I run into trouble its usually something silly like a typo or
improperly structured section in xf86config.

I'll do that....again and again until it works or I exhaust my patience,
becoming more enamored of command-line browsing.  I've had to manually edit
the config file on other installations too, but xf86config usually did
perfectlly well given the correct values.  Oh!, what should the enrty be for
the bus-address when dpkg is run?  I tried the suggested entry, but it
failed to make a difference.  Where do you find the bus-address?  I tried
lspci -v, but it did not list any address for the card.

you know, i was fooling around with that the other day (hence my meager attempts to help) and realised I had mis-read the screen. The screen before the bus address prompt says to leave it blank UNLESS you have certain processors (working from memory here...) and leaving it blank sure did the trick for me ;) in fact my XF86Config-4 doesn't have any mention of bus address... apparently X auto-detects it fine (in my setup anyway). so you might try that (believe me, I know you've tried everything, so don't hate me for suggesting the obvious...) I think, SOMEONE ELSE JUMP IN HERE, that the bus addess is in there, but in hex? I could never quite figure it out either. but, here is my guess (really guessing here)

lspci -b reveals

0000:00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems TG...
        ^^

now 0d is hex for 13. I know my trident card is at PCI:00:13:00 due to past experimenting... so maybe. big fat shot in the dark.

good luck

Cecil