No Screens Found

I am working on an IBM Aptiva and getting the error message that no screen is found when I start XFree86. This machine has a Pentium III/800MHz/128MBRAM; Creative Labs CT6970 AGP video card with an nVidia GeForce 256 DDR chipset; ESS Allegro PCI (ES1988 Allegro-1) sound chip on-board; VIA 82Cxxx chipset; HP 845c USB on Usb0; a Best Data USB56 on Usb1; a Zoom K56 Flex on Tty0. This is the second installation of Debian Woody 3.0 (that completed the process) using the bf24 boot option (kernel 2.4), Ext3 fs. The installation was completed with all dependencies and conflicts resolved. KDE is default. XFree86 is configured for the nv GeForce driver w/32768KB video RAM; correct monitor specifications; correct video resolutions; correct color depth. I say "correct" because the same specifications worked on the first installation. I have run xf86config around six times, trying different settings for the RAM and video resolution/depth to no avail. I went on-line with the Zoom modem, but have not tried the Best Data yet because I get no desk top and don't feel like browsing without Mozilla. The HP 845c has never worked even after going to linuxprinting.org and sourceforge.com for the PPDs. Usb support is installed in the kernel. The HP Vectra VL I'm using to do this, with the same Debian Woody 3.0, starts XFree with no problem, and I can find no difference between the two XF86Config files other than the obvious differences in server, RAM, monitor specs, resolution, and color depth. I have installed Debian Linux about ten times now on four different machines, even having to manually configure XFree86, but this is the first time I can not get X to start. What can be done? I also need help with setting up printers and sound, so....maybe after X starts, we can go into those. Thanks.
Cecil