No Screens Found

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>
To: Cecil <cecil@ccis.net>; Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: No Screens Found

> I've never seen "Display" like this. I think those depths should be
> split up. I've only installed X a couple of times, but my XF86Config(-4)
> has always split the Displays like this:

The screen section is just as you reproduced it, I am just too lazy to  type
all the same info time after time.  I'm running back and forth between two
computers, trying to type onto the one what I saw on the other.

> something tells me this isn't the problem, but maybe?

It is not, as the file is as you said it is on your installation.

> can't image that ext2 ext3 is an issue. did you save your old
> xf86config? is it on a backup somewhere?

Nothing was saved, as I had nothing personal on the machine and I had no
expectation that the system files would not function properly, or that a
configuration would not be identical if given the same parameters, and I was
really doing the installation to get the Ext3 fs

> all I can say is, go over the configs with a fine-toothed comb.
> everytime I run into trouble its usually something silly like a typo or
> improperly structured section in xf86config.

I'll do that....again and again until it works or I exhaust my patience,
becoming more enamored of command-line browsing.  I've had to manually edit
the config file on other installations too, but xf86config usually did
perfectlly well given the correct values.  Oh!, what should the enrty be for
the bus-address when dpkg is run?  I tried the suggested entry, but it
failed to make a difference.  Where do you find the bus-address?  I tried
lspci -v, but it did not list any address for the card.

Cecil