Re: howto get popup for connection speed

On 7/23/05, Mr Mike <mike@ejecta.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:44:16 -0400, hacker (of golf) wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to create a popup to show the connection speed.
> >
> > I'm trying this:
> >
> > root :~# kdialog --display localhost:0 --msgbox "Connection Speed
> > `tail -n1 /var/log/ppp-connect-errors | awk '{ print $6 }'` bps"
> > kdialog: cannot connect to X server localhost:0
> >
> > but, as you can see, it won't connect to the xserver.
> >
> > How can I get this to work?
>
> Why not use xmessage instead?  Then you can use the script even if kde
> isn't installed on the box...  (someone like me..)
>
> I use xmessage a lot for these kind of info boxes..  really easy to use..
> man xmessage gives you all the info you need...
>
> cheers..
> mr mike..

Thanks for the tip.  But, xmessage seems to have the same limitation
that a root command cannot display a message in another users
xsession.  For example:

root :~# xmessage "testit"
Error: Can't open display:

Have you solved this problem?  I don't see anything in the man page
addressing it.

thanks