Re: Migrating from Windows to Debian - keeping email messages from Outlook Express

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 06:36:05AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
[...]
} I have not used this but it does exist!
} Cheers,
} Kev
} -------------------------------
} Running: apt-cache show readpst
} Package: readpst
} Section: utils
} Installed-Size: 192
} Maintainer: Joe Nahmias <jello@debian.org>
} Architecture: i386
} Source: libpst
} Version: 0.5.1-1
} Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
} Filename: pool/main/libp/libpst/readpst_0.5.1-1_i386.deb
} Size: 55764
} MD5sum: 37d2a85b5f88edf8dd6daf61a6fe2b94
}  ReadPST is an application that can take a Microsoft Outlook PST
}  (Personal Folders) file and convert it into mbox, kmail, its own
}  recursive format, or separate each email into its own file.
}  .
}  It can currently handle emails, folders and most contacts.

I have used this, and it works... imperfectly. The resulting mbox files
required some manual cleanup. That said, it did a good enough job on the
large (~200MB) PST file I had that it was many times easier than fighting
with Outlook to get it to use IMAP (it was configured for "corporate use,"
meaning Exchange-only). I then scripted mutt (no easy task) to convert the
mboxes into maildirs for consumption by courier-imap.

--Greg