Re: mount ntfs only readable?

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 01:58:56PM IST, Eric
<eric@bootz.us> incoherently babbled:

> mount -t ntfs -w /dev/hdb1 /home/admin/Desktop/windows1
>
> Hello, I am trying to mount a file system writable, does anyone know if
> the Debian Sarge release 2.6.8 stock kernel can do this?
>
> I have no problem mounting the file system but it is only readable.
>
> The filesystem is NT 4 and is a second HD on my current Deb Sys.

As described in the official Linux NTFS FAQ [1], you can't really write
to an NTFS volume, unless you are interested in overwriting a file
without shanging it's size.

If you really want to share a volume between Windows and Debian on a
system, I suggest you use FAT32/vfat (same difference) instead of NTFS.

[1] http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html#3.2

--

Conall O'Brien

http://www.conall.net

GPG Key: http://www.conall.net/gpg/

"See daddy? All the keys are in alphabetical order now."