Re: xmms doesn't play streams, complains couldn't connect to host

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:35:57 -0400
"H. S." <greatexcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have tried Ogg streams on xmms and they work. The MP3 ones do not.
> While trying to play an MP3 stream (.m3u file?), xmms reports "Couldn't
> connect to host: <URL>:<port>".

m3u streams typically contain links to mp3 files, but not always. There
might be a problem connecting to those particular sites, for instance -
verify first if xmms has trouble playing local mp3 files. I'm skeptical
if it's an ogg vs. mp3 problem.

Also try saving the playlist to a file and use variants of

$ mplayer -playlist file.m3u

to see if it's an xmms issue or a real issue connecting to the site(s)
that offer mp3 content.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.