Re: Upgrade woody-->sarge, KDE stops working

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:58:15PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 05:21:01PM -0700, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Got a problem with KDE after upgrading woody to sarge.
> > I am running the i386 distribution. For historical
> > reasons I will get around to sorting out one of these
> > days, I run gdm then select a KDE session at login.
> >
> > My X server has obviously survived the upgrade as gdm
> > starts OK on boot and presents me with the usual login
> > screen. Even my custom ModeLine settings for my
> > display survived; my XF86Config-4 file is exactly the
> > same as the backup copy I took before upgrading.
> >
> > However on login, the X server appears to shut down
> > (and gdm promptly re-starts it) -- so I log in and
> > after some flashing of screens for a second or two I
> > find myself back at the login screen again.
>
> Very similar problems here:  after the upgrade, I use
> xdm to log in.  My window manager is icewm.  But the
> same problem.  It flashes screens for a maybe five or ten
> seconds (I have a slow machine) and I'm back at the
> login screen again.  So the problem may bot depend on
> gdm and kde specifically, at least if I have the same
> problem instead of just the same symptom.

The release notes for Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 ("sarge"), Intel 86
-- upgrades chapter says to read
/usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/README.Debian-upgrade.gz
before rebooting.  I haven't found the information there to be
of much use,  except to tell me that the entire X susbystem
bas been thouroghly churned and not to expect too much
fron doing the upgrade.  Doing
   apt-get install x-window-system
doesn't seem to help.

-- hendrik