Re: Upgrade woody-->sarge, KDE stops working

Fletcher wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Got a problem with KDE after upgrading woody to
> > sarge. I am running the i386 distribution. For
> > historical reasons I will get around to sorting out
> > one of these days, I run gdm then select a KDE
> > session at login.
> >
> > My X server has obviously survived the upgrade as
> > gdm starts OK on boot and presents me with the
> > usual login screen. Even my custom ModeLine
> > settings for my display survived; my XF86Config-4
> > file is exactly the same as the backup copy I took
> > before upgrading.
> >
> > However on login, the X server appears to shut down
> > (and gdm promptly re-starts it) -- so I log in and
> > after some flashing of screens for a second or two
> > I find myself back at the login screen again.
>
> Very similar problems here:  after the upgrade, I use
> xdm to log in.  My window manager is icewm.  But the
> same problem.  It flashes screens for a maybe five or
> ten seconds (I have a slow machine) and I'm back at
> the login screen again.  So the problem may bot
> depend on gdm and kde specifically, at least if I
> have the same problem instead of just the same
> symptom.
>
> -- hendrik

Suggest you try aptitude remove xdm
then aptitude purge xdm

(you can probably do these in one shot, but it might be
fun to turn on the script command to keep a log of the
session and compare later what actions each take)

then straight away aptitude install xdm

When I did that (with gdm) -- lo and behold, my problem
was solved.

Mark
(Sending, with some satisfaction, from KDE's KMail
client...)