Re: Fourth Mouse Button

En/La David R. Litwin ha escrit, a 15/06/05 05:32:
<snip>
> Being a tad scared of Experimenting with mice (I re-booted yester-day,
> my mouse went copletely off the wall and I nearly had a break-down,
> thinking I wouldn't have usage of my mouse again. Two nice re-boots
> solved the nutty-ness. I haven't a clue what happened, though), I did a
> bit of searching and found this:
> http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=46
> What are your thoughts? It seems that this should be precisely what I
> need. If so, could you help me a bit to set it up? Usually I'd just
> plunge ahead, but, as I said, I REALLY don't want to screw up me mouse.
>
> Thanky.

Hi David,
Are you using Xorg rather than XFree86?
I can offer advice about safe experimenting but I don't know anything
about Xorg (you might put that in your subject line if you're looking
for help in that area: e.g. Xorg configuring mouse, or something like
that). In XFree86 I do the following:
1. make a copy of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (I call it XF86Config-4.good)
2. Then I mess around with XF86Config-4 to my heart's content.
3. I then restart X (clt-alt-bksp) and see what happens.
4. If all is well and my experimentation has succeeded then I keep the
new XF86Config-4.
5. If X won't restart I can always change back to my original (working)
version of XF86Config-4 (erasing the bad XF86Config-4 and renaming
XF86Config-4.good to XF86Config-4).
I assume that you can do this with Xorg but you should wait till someone
actually using it responds.
Cheers,
Jonathan