Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Jun 15 2005, David E. Fox wrote:

> Still, the load time doesn't bother me all that much, even though I"m
> running a relatively underpowered machine by today's standards (Athlon
> 1000 mhz). I do have quite a bit of RAM here (768 megs), though.

Underpowered machine? If that is underpowered, then, please, I accept
donations of underpowered hardware from any poster of this list. :-)

> Which parts of libraries will likely be "evicted" from RAM when it
> becomes necessary -- or even if not. Only the really needed parts of
> libraries are really brought in. Some KDE apps do bring in more
> libraries than "traditional" (non-KDE) tools, for instance:
>
> dfox@126[~]$ ldd `which konsole` | wc -l
> 40
> dfox@126[~]$ ldd `which xterm` | wc -l
> 19

Looking towards minimizing the amount of memory used by my system, I have
now decided to use rxvt-unicode in daemon mode (together with fluxbox and
the "Minimal" style).

This way, according to top, I save a non-negligible amount of memory gained
regarding what I used to have when I was using many instances of rxvt (the
vanilla version). BTW, here is what my system shows:

rbrito@dumont:~$ ldd `which urxvt` | wc -l
12

I have not been a user of vanilla xterm for ages, since I am usually very
tight on RAM and find it with way too many bells and whistles to do just
what I wanted.

> But, as another poster pointed out, there are shared similarities among
> various components of a desktop environment, and because of shared
> memory, one might only haev a single copy of a library shared among those
> components at any one time.

That is true, indeed, but I have not quantified it yet.

But the zillion daemons running and polluting my home directory with
unwanted dot-files (or, worse, unwanted files under dot-directories) is a
thing that turns me down. :-(

For instance, the fact that opening up some GTK 2.0-based applications
starts gconfd-2 is really annoying, IMO. But with KDE it seems that the
daemon-proliferation is much worse (at least the last time I checked).

As it may be obvious from my e-mail, I am an old-school Unix user. I have
tried to switch to the "new modus operandi" of treating my computer as a
tool and ignoring what is driving it (so that I could be more
productive---or, at least, I thought so), but I couldn't stand the
limitations that I felt. :-(

Just my 2 cents, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/