Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:54:46 +0100 (BST)
Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Lee Braiden <jel@tundra.ath.cx> wrote:
> > That's debatable, actually.  It could be argued that, since desktop
> > environments *do* share libraries etc, they reduce redundancy and
> > therefore
> > memory and load times.  One could even argue that, since the code in
>
> Heh.  When was the last time you tried to load KDE or GNOME?  They take
> an absolute age, pulling in I don't know what -- and whats more, the

About 104 days ago, when I booted the machine. (Actually that's not
quite correct -- I restarted the X (thus KDE) session shortly after
upgrading to Sarge a few days ago). Still, the load time doesn't bother
me all that much, even though I"m running a relatively underpowered
machine by today's standards (Athlon 1000 mhz). I do have quite a bit
of RAM here (768 megs), though.

> case of KDE that loads a lot of libs for applications, whether you use
> them or not.

Which parts of libraries will likely be "evicted" from RAM when it
becomes necessary -- or even if not. Only the really needed parts of
libraries are really brought in. Some KDE apps do bring in more
libraries than "traditional" (non-KDE) tools, for instance:

dfox@126[~]$ ldd `which konsole` | wc -l
40
dfox@126[~]$ ldd `which xterm` | wc -l
19

But, as another poster pointed out, there are shared similarities
among various components of a desktop environment, and because of
shared memory, one might only haev a single copy of a library shared
among those components at any one time.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.