Re: DVORAK

On Monday 06 June 2005 09:48 pm, p wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 03:46:01PM -0600, Cam wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > So after a few years of hearing of the DVORAK layout (and noticing
> > that it seems like my left hand is doing all the work w/ QWERTY), i'd
> > like to try to make the switch... here's my major concern though (and
> > perhaps this isn't really an issue, i'd like to hear the advice from
> > others that have given DVORAK a spin).  How does DVORAK work w/ apps
> > like vim, nethack, etc.? the key-layouts seem to be fairly logical and
> > i would hate to lose them, is there some sort of patch--or is that too
> > ugly?  Is it worth the switch?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Cameron Matheson
>
> Dvorak  is  quite nice.   I  could never go
> back  to  Qwerty (where  I was  pretty much
> "clawing" at the keys.  *ouch*).
>

> ...sorry, I've never used those  apps  (vim
> and  nechack),  so  I  couldn't  say if the
> layouts  are  "logical"  in  Dvorak.  I use
> nvi and things seem fine.
>
> I did myself a favor when I learned Dvorak.
>
> Luck.

Questions for you and others now using Dvorak: I could change my own keyboard
to whatever I want, but I know I'll still have to use other keyboards, and
I've been using QWERTY for close to 30 years.  So:

1) How hard is it to change over?,

2) Once you've changed over, how hard is it if you have to use Qwerty on
someone else's computer?,

3) Does anyone know if it reduces problems like RSI or CT for one's wrists?

4) I use a natural keyboard, which helps a lot.  Does that make a difference
with Dvorak?

Thanks!

Hal