enhancing xdmcp performance

XDMCP works surprising well, but it's still a little sluggish
(especially when switching workspaces or alpha effects come into play
(like w/ the download manager in firefox, or the logout screen in
gnome).  I'm using a wireless network, which may be too slow... or
would a faster network even do me any better?  I would like to have
the client over the network work as much like using a real computer as
possible.  from what i've read, it can be done.  anyone have any tips?
 would using ssh w/ compression enabled have better performance than
XDMCP?  also, is there any way to do media-intense apps (movie
players, games, etc), over the network?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson