DVORAK

Hi,

So after a few years of hearing of the DVORAK layout (and noticing
that it seems like my left hand is doing all the work w/ QWERTY), i'd
like to try to make the switch... here's my major concern though (and
perhaps this isn't really an issue, i'd like to hear the advice from
others that have given DVORAK a spin).  How does DVORAK work w/ apps
like vim, nethack, etc.? the key-layouts seem to be fairly logical and
i would hate to lose them, is there some sort of patch--or is that too
ugly?  Is it worth the switch?

thanks,
Cameron Matheson