Re: why cups so rarely works "out of the box"

On 11 Feb 2005, Richard Lyons wrote:
[snip]

> I am now looking for an alternative set of packages to replace cups
> and gimp-print, as many hours of effort have revealed nothing useful
> and I cannot print anything at all.   Can anyone suggest a more reliable
> choice of packages?.  I need at least to be able to connect an Epson C62

[snip]

Have a look at magicfilter. I find that this works better than Cups for
me and is also easier to set up. There is a Debian package and also a
newer version (rewrite) at
http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Code/magicfilter/

Both work equally well as far as I can see. The Debian maintainer
appears to be inactive at present; at least, he doesn't reply to emails.

>From the page:

	magicfilter is an extensible and customizable automatic printer
	filter. It selects an appropriate conversion technique for the
	input data by seeking for magic numbers, and then utilizing the
	appropriate conversion utility.

	magicfilter is primarily intended for use as the `input filter'
	by the lpd print spooler. The options accepted by magicfilter
	are exactly the ones passed to the input filter by lpd (unless
	you build it on a LPRng system -- in that case, magicfilter
	accepts no options.) H

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  weblog, book reviews, electronic