Re: why cups so rarely works "out of the box"

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 07:16:26PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Richard Lyons wrote:
[...]
> >I can find no way to solve it.  Once again the printer is printing pages
> >of garbage -- in fact i think they are the raster data that should be
> >being interpreted as graphics.  There are no error messages even at
> >LogLevel debug2.
[...]
> Have you checked out this page?
>
> http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_C62
>
> According to the page, your printer should work perfectly with
> the gimp-print driver.

Yes, the only thing there that might help seems to be
  IMPORTANT: Always use the Foomatic data and/or PPD files of the
  Gimp-Print version which you are actually using! Remove and re-create
  your print queues after every update of Gimp-Print. If you are using
  the Gimp-Print package of your Linux distribution, it is possible that
  the Foomatic data and/or the PPD files can be in separate packages.
  Make sure you install them and that they are of the version
  corresponding to your Gimp-Print package.

But the problem recurred independent of any update, and I think I have
all the latest versions as available in sarge.  As to removing and
recreating the queue, I am not sure what that means -- perhaps I should
delete and remake /var/spool/cups.  Though it is difficult to see that
would change anything.  I have, in any case deleted and recreated the
printer in cups, so the queue is a new one.  I think I'll try purging
cups entirely and reinstalling it and all the foomatic and gimp-print
packages from scratch.  I still prefer to stay with cups if possible, as
it is so easy to run -- when it works.

Thanks,

--
richard