Network Problems with a G4 running Woody

I've installed Debian woody on a G4 and I'm having a minor problem with the
network controller. On boot everything loads up properly. If, however, I run
"/etc/init.d/networking restart" I am then unable to connect to any machines
(including other machines on my own subnet). I have to reboot the system to
fix the problem. The configuration information is hard coded locally so this
is not any kind of DHCP issue. The NIC in my system is a "Broadcom BCM5400
PHY (Gigabit)". If you need other details let me know and I will be happy to
provide them.
Please CC me on all responses as I'm not subscribed to this list.

Thanks
Jefferson Cowart
Jeff@cowart.net