Re: Debian Rescue Floppy

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:09:41PM -0800, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> Date:	 Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:03:31 -0700
> From:	"CW Harris" <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
>
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:48:03PM -0800, Mr. Jan
> Hearthstone wrote:
> >    I do have hda1 on my hard drive where all my
> files
> > are; the message was that a kernel image "root=/de.v

[...]
> So if I'm remembering this all correctly, you want to
> type:
>
> 	linux root=/dev/hda1

[...]
> I did "linux root=/dev/hda1"
> but "hda1" was not found. So I look myself (for the
> nth time), and there is no "hda" to be found anywhere.
> The install "Menue" in the Debian Installer has an
> "Execute a shell" entry where I "cd"ed into every nook
> and cranny, but found no "hda"'s "ls"ed.

You have a Debian Installer floppy also?  Does it detect your
drives during bootup? (any messages about hda in the bootup?)

Can you do an "fdisk -l" to see partitions on your detected drives?

It is sounding more like the kernel is no longer finding your hard drive
(maybe because of a hardware problem?)

>   The script after "Execute a shell" says that my
> "hard disk file systems are mounted on '/target'", but
> do what I do, I only once spotted a "target" directory

What does "mount" tell you?  It should show you what is currently
mounted.

If they are not mounted, you can mount them yourself.
	mount /dev/hda1 /target
 or maybe
 	mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /target

Assuming hda1 is your partition and /target exists (and the filesystem
is ext2 in the second case).

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.