Debian Rescue Floppy

Date:	 Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:03:31 -0700
From:	"CW Harris" <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
To:	debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject:	Re: Debian Rescue Floppy

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:48:03PM -0800, Mr. Jan
Hearthstone wrote:
>    I do have hda1 on my hard drive where all my
files
> are; the message was that a kernel image "root=/de.v

XXX  QUOTED  XXXXXXXXXXX
Okay, it's been a *long* time since I booted a floppy
(especially since
many computers do not even have floppy drives
anymore), but if I recall
correctly, the boot floppy gives you a prompt and asks
to to press
return or to type your own special boot commands (is
this correct?).

XXXXXXXXXX  END QUOTED  XXXXX

Correct.

XXXXXXXXXX QUOTED XXXXXXXXXXX
I think what is happening here is that at the prompt
you are entering:
	root=/dev/hda1

What the boot floppy is expecting is a <kernel name>
optionally followed
by kernel boot parameters.  I believe the default
kernel is "linux" and
you can even type "dir" or maybe "ls" to see what
files there are.
So if I'm remembering this all correctly, you want to
type:

	linux root=/dev/hda1

BTW this is common to most/all of the boot methods,
CD, lilo, grub
(although devices are named differently with grub).

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.

XXXXXXXXXX  END QUOTED  XXXXXXXXXX

I did "linux root=/dev/hda1"
but "hda1" was not found. So I look myself (for the
nth time), and there is no "hda" to be found anywhere.
The install "Menue" in the Debian Installer has an
"Execute a shell" entry where I "cd"ed into every nook
and cranny, but found no "hda"'s "ls"ed.
  The script after "Execute a shell" says that my
"hard disk file systems are mounted on '/target'", but
do what I do, I only once spotted a "target" directory
during my past (numerous) tries, and then never more.
Only a "target0" dir, but that is used for
partitioning?

There is not much wrong with the system I have on the
HD, only lilo needs to be re-configured, because the
message I get at boot-up says roughly: "the kernel is
overlapping (?) lilo at second stage (run level 2?).

I understand that all I have to do is: either
re-configure, or re-install lilo, and then just
reboot, if (and if only  ;-) I ever get inside my HD.

Tom's rescue floppy would be great, but I have no
access to either a win95, nor a Linux machine; only
win 2000.

Thanks, Hearthstone.

=====
If we,the people, were sincere about wanting Peace, then we would spend more on active creation of Peace than what we spend on the military.Legalize the Right to Sleep! http://www.modelearth.org/sleepright.htmlhttp://www.MODELEARTH.org