Debian Rescue Floppy

--- Friedhelm Mehnert <friedhelm.mehnert@gmx.net>
wrote:

> From: friedhelm.mehnert@gmx.net (Friedhelm Mehnert)
> To: "Mr. Jan Hearthstone" <hearthstone11@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Debian Rescue Floppy
> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:22:21 +0100
>
> In article <3tk08-6XH-9@gated-at.bofh.it> you wrote:
> >    I do have hda1 on my hard drive where all my
> files
> > are; the message was that a kernel image
> "root=/de.v
> > (sic!)" could not be found (the command was
> > "root=/dev/hda1").
> >   When I use the "command line" I cannot find any
> > "target" where all my hd stuff is supposed to be,
> > according to the "rescue floppy", nor can I find
> any
> > "hda" at all! Only floppy.
> >   The "hda1" would be in /dev/, wouldn't it?
> >   Thanks, Hearthstone.
> > --- Jack <Jack@JackNguy.com> wrote:
> >

> If you can't access your root-partition you can use
> the rescue floppy
> along with the root floppy.
> Just start as if you do an installation.
>
> After configuring your keyboard, but before you go
> into partitioning
> just press <ALT F2> !! :-)

The same as "Execute a shell"

> Now you can do things like e2fschk

There is no "e2fschk" on the "rescue floppy"

> /dev/yourrootdevice,
> mount the device, edit lilo.conf to boot your old
> kernel or whatever.

All I need to do is to "dpkg-reconfigure lilo"

How come I cannot find "hda1" where all my files are?
I thought it would be in /dev ?!
When I do "cd /dev" -> "ls" it doesn't show any hda's
at all!?
Hearthstone.

=====
If we,the people, were sincere about wanting Peace, then we would spend more on active creation of Peace than what we spend on the military.Legalize the Right to Sleep! http://www.modelearth.org/sleepright.htmlhttp://www.MODELEARTH.org