New Sarge install

Title: Message
Hello list,
I am new to Linux and have some questions about a new install of Sarge.  I come from FreeBSD so I do have some familiarity with Unix operating systems (Unix-like in the case of Linux).  I am currently downloading all the ISO's of the "testing" branch via Jigsaw Download.  I believe there is 14 disks in all.  The questions I have are:

The "testing" branch should give me Sarge correct?
Does Sarge come with the 2.4 kernel or 2.6?  I couldn't get a definitive answer to this question on the web.
If so, does the distro provide a fairly painless upgrade path to 2.6, i.e. is there a 2.6 package?
Are there any "gotchas" with the install that I should be aware of?  I am installing a dual boot with FreeBSD on a Dell Latitude C600 laptop.
Why are there 14 disks in the Sarge distro and only 7 in the Woody distro?  What are the extra disks for?

I have been able to find some very helpful information via Google with regards to Debian, installation, packages, etc but the above questions are still lingering.  Your help is appreciated.

Regards,

Thomas