Re: New Sarge install

Hello

Tom Connolly (<tomc@cqg.com>) wrote:

> I am new to Linux and have some questions about a new install of
> Sarge. I come from FreeBSD so I do have some familiarity with Unix
> operating systems (Unix-like in the case of Linux).  I am currently
> downloading all the ISO's of the "testing" branch via Jigsaw Download.
> I believe there is 14 disks in all.  The questions I have are:

Do you really need all of them? Using the netinstall ISO or the image
for CD 1 and installing the rest over the net could relieve the mirror
servers a little.

> The "testing" branch should give me Sarge correct?

Right.

> Does Sarge come with the 2.4 kernel or 2.6?  I couldn't get a
> definitive answer to this question on the web.

It comes with both 2.4 and 2.6. You can choose at the boot prompt of the
installation CD, also install another kernel anytime later after you
finished the installation.

> If so, does the distro provide a fairly painless upgrade path to 2.6,
> i.e. is there a 2.6 package?

Sarge fully supports kernel 2.6, and there are packages available in
Sarge.

> Are there any "gotchas" with the install that I should be aware of?  I
> am installing a dual boot with FreeBSD on a Dell Latitude C600 laptop.
> Why are there 14 disks in the Sarge distro and only 7 in the Woody
> distro?  What are the extra disks for?

More programs. Potato only had three CDs. Imagine FreeBSD including
precompiled packages of all ports.

> I have been able to find some very helpful information via Google with
> regards to Debian, installation, packages, etc but the above questions
> are still lingering.  Your help is appreciated.

You should also read the installation manual and maybe take a look at
the Debian reference. You can find both of them at debian.org. If you
read the installation manual, make sure it is the one for Sarge, not
for Woody.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270