Re: X-Serving Multiple Virtual Console

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:01:48 -0800
Seeker5528 <seeker5528@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:28:44 -0500
> "David A. Cobb" <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > One of the great features when running from the console is the ability
> > to have multiple logins by using Alt+F2...Alt+F9.
> >
> > It is regrettable to loose that when using an X interface.  For example,
> > it would be great if I could just suspend what I'm doing and let my wife
> > login and read her email, etc.
> >

> In addition to the other suggestions, I use GDM and it provides gdmflexiserver
and a 'New Login' menu item to start it. I never tried switching between these.

> Also there is xnest which, when install, should give you a menu item to start
a nested X session which will start a windowed display.

What I am looking for personally is something like winXP behavior where you can
do the change user option and have several users running at the same time
without needing to remember which one is on each console.