Re: X-Serving Multiple Virtual Console

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 08:39:55PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:01:48 -0800
> Seeker5528 <seeker5528@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:28:44 -0500
> > "David A. Cobb" <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > > One of the great features when running from the console is the ability
> > > to have multiple logins by using Alt+F2...Alt+F9.
> > >
> > > It is regrettable to loose that when using an X interface.  For example,
> > > it would be great if I could just suspend what I'm doing and let my wife
> > > login and read her email, etc.
> > >

> > In addition to the other suggestions, I use GDM and it provides gdmflexiserver
> and a 'New Login' menu item to start it. I never tried switching between these.
> >
> > Also there is xnest which, when install, should give you a menu item to start
> a nested X session which will start a windowed display.
> >

> What I am looking for personally is something like winXP behavior where you can
> do the change user option and have several users running at the same time
> without needing to remember which one is on each console.

I think nested X session gives separate menu and does almost what you
want.  I personally like switching between ALT-CTRL-F7 and ALT-CTRL-F8
with 'New Login'.

But if she is using mutt to check mail, I would use run as different use
menu and run xterm under her account.  Then start any program from
console.

So many ways....

Osamu