Programming Languages, "to C or not to C, that is the Q."

Hi, All,

I was raised on Basic, (PDP 11/70 RSTS/E, TRS-80, Vic-20, Gw-basic)
Then did Pascal in College.  Now that I don't have to spend all
my time on the computer getting updates from microsoft, I think
I will try my hand at a little traditional programming.

So, I see like a billion languages available.  I have a few
questions, but would any general opinions on "language to
learn" you may have.  Please don't feel I am not interested
if you have thoughts don't directly relate to what I write below.
(end, plea for verbosity.)

I notice two basic interpreters under woody.  Why no compiler?!

I also notice that many of the "Wirth Bondage and Dominance"
languages (pascal, modula, oberon) have a program that "converts
to C" and then I guess you would compile the c program.  Why
is this?  I am guessing it has to do with porting (like, take
your C output and you can compile it for mac or windows or something._
Any other reasons?

        How readable are these "whatever to C" program's
        output?!  Can you see the subroutines in there, know
        what they are in relation to what you wrote in, say,
        pascal, and maybe tweak it in C?  (I am waiting for
        my library to ILL a book for me, "C as a second lang.
        for Pascal users.  Catchy title, huh?!

C does interest me, though for some reason object oriented
does not sound appealing ot me.  However, I hear of it as
something that is not a true HLL.  I hear it is more like
a "universal assembler" of sorts.  I love being able to do
structured programming and I think I am better off with a true
HLL, am I wrong?!

I heard a quote that Algol is better than many of it's successors.
Is it still alive?  I hear it is just a little younger than
LISP.  Are these languages truly still alive?!  What about forth?!

Let me know what your thoughts are, as I would love to hear them!
---
Scotty