Re: Recomended motherboard

On Jan 24 2005, William Ballard wrote:
> You've got it backwards.  Pick several motherboards you like and then
> check and see if you can get them working with the Linux kernel.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that he got it backwards. He is just being
cautious and interested in hardware that will give him a good experience
with Linux.

I can't see anything wrong with that and, in fact, I would take the same
actions as he did if I were looking for a new hardware.

Unfortunately, the way that you suggested suffers from the problem that,
for many boards, there is just not much information regarding compatibility
with Linux.

And many hardware review sites just don't mention Linux compatibility (and
even when they do, they talk about binary only drivers).

Of course, I think that the original poster is entirely correct in the way
he asked things here, since, if I were him, I would really hate to purchase
some piece of hardware just to discover that I'll have to use a half-assed
reverse-engineered driver (or, worse, binary only drivers that tie you to a
given platform).

Let's just "reward" Open Source-friendly manufacturers with our purchases.

My two cents, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php