partitioned drive in linux. Windows gives me a phantom drive letter

This is really bizzare.

First drive, hda
1       ext2 (1G)
2       vfat (20G)      D:
3       extended
5       vfat (20G)      F:
6       ext2 (20G)
7       ext2 (20G)
8       ext2 (2.8G)
9       vfat (20G)      G:
4       ext2 (56G)

Second drive, hdd
1       vfat (5G)       C:
2       swap (2G)
3       ext2 (10G)
4       vfat (22G)      H:

All of the vfats show up in windows, with the letters given above.
Additionally, I get an E:, with a size that corresponds to H:. I can acces
E:, format it, and even write files to it. When I reboot, the files are
still there. In all respects, it behaves like a real drive. But there's no
partition for it! Looking in linux, the files added to E: in windows aren't
there. Go back to windows and there they are. It shows up in the windows
System Information window with "logical information" but no "physical
information".

Does anyone have any idea what this is about?