Re: partitioned drive in linux. Windows gives me a phantom drive letter -- solved!

Spongebob wrote:

> This is really bizzare.
>
> First drive, hda
> 1       ext2 (1G)
> 2       vfat (20G)      D:
> 3       extended
> 5       vfat (20G)      F:
> 6       ext2 (20G)
> 7       ext2 (20G)
> 8       ext2 (2.8G)
> 9       vfat (20G)      G:
> 4       ext2 (56G)
>
> Second drive, hdd
> 1       vfat (5G)       C:
> 2       swap (2G)
> 3       ext2 (10G)
> 4       vfat (22G)      H:
>
> All of the vfats show up in windows, with the letters given above.
> Additionally, I get an E:, with a size that corresponds to H:. I can acces
> E:, format it, and even write files to it. When I reboot, the files are
> still there. In all respects, it behaves like a real drive. But there's no
> partition for it! Looking in linux, the files added to E: in windows
> aren't there. Go back to windows and there they are. It shows up in the
> windows System Information window with "logical information" but no
> "physical information".
>
> Does anyone have any idea what this is about?

Apparently, windows doesn't want any other windows partitions on hdd. I've
wiped the drive and tried primary and logical, with and without linux
partitions. They all give me the same phantom drive problem. It's strange,
but I'm guessing it has something to do with the virtual swap done in grub
to get windows to boot off hdd.

My solution was to partition hdd as follows:
1       fat32   C:
2       swap
3       ext2

The rest of my windows partitions are on hdda. Phantom drive is gone.
Everything checks out in windows and in linux.