Re: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Ioana Glitia wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Can you still boot into your old kernel? If so, does the floppy work there?

How can I do that? I don't have the package .deb for the old kernel (2.2) -- that came with the base -- on the computer, or at least not where I put all the .deb packages that I copied to the thinkpad. But I don't know where the base installed the kernel and put it, and how to boot into the old kernel.

Assuming you're using lilo to boot (as opposed to grub or something else entirely), you can probably press the left Shift key right after the Power-On Self-Test (POST), which , IIRC, should show you a menu of available kernels.

If that doesn't work, take a look in /etc/lilo.conf for a stanza (set of lines) referring to your old kernel. If the stanza is there, and if the actual kernel is in place (in /boot, with a symlink in / pointing to that kernel file in /boot), you can uncomment the "prompt" line in the lilo.conf file, then exit and save and run "lilo". Now reboot and the menu should show up.

Alternatively, if you can boot from CD and you have a LiveCD (like Knoppix or Kanotix or Mepis, etc), just use that LiveCD to boot and see if the floppy works in that environment.

I'm sorry, I suppose I'm more of a newbie when it comes to this.

'S'okay; we've all been there.

--
Kent