Re: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Kent West wrote:

Ioana Glitia wrote:

Yesterday evening I've upgraded to kernel 2.4 on the stable distro (on my IBM Thinkpad 755C), using apt-get but now it seems like I can't get Debian to read the floppies anymore...and this is somehow bad :) cause it doesn't have a CD-ROM or a network card so I can't install packages that I would need.

I keep getting this error when I try to mount a floppy:

end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

It does that with every floppy, it's not just a bad floppy. Was there something I needed to configure after doing apt-get install kernel-image* ?

Perhaps you need to "modprobe floppy"?

Thank you for your help. I tried that, but I still get errors like that, or like, right after I did the modprobe floppy, I got an error like
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 36
floppy0: disk absent or changed during operation
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 38
floppy0: disk absent or changed during operation
and so on until 94 and then it said
attempt to access beyond end of device
02:00: rw=0, want=33, limit=4
attempt to access beyond end of device
02:00: rw=0, want=34, limit=4
so on until want=36 and then it said
/dev/fd0: Input/output error
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Is there anything I could do?
Becky