Re: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Kent West wrote:

Ioana Glitia wrote:

Kent West wrote:

Perhaps you need to "modprobe floppy"?

Thank you for your help. I tried that, but I still get errors like that, or like, right after I did the modprobe floppy, I got an error like
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 36
floppy0: disk absent or changed during operation
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 38
floppy0: disk absent or changed during operation
and so on until 94 and then it said
attempt to access beyond end of device
02:00: rw=0, want=33, limit=4
attempt to access beyond end of device
02:00: rw=0, want=34, limit=4
so on until want=36 and then it said
/dev/fd0: Input/output error
end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

This "feels" like a hardware problem. The floppy drive worked before the kernel upgrade?

Yes, that's how I got the new kernel on the thinkpad. I've put it on multiple floppies and then joined them together using dpkg-split -j. And then i installed it.

Can you still boot into your old kernel? If so, does the floppy work there?

How can I do that? I don't have the package .deb for the old kernel (2.2) -- that came with the base -- on the computer, or at least not where I put all the .deb packages that I copied to the thinkpad. But I don't know where the base installed the kernel and put it, and how to boot into the old kernel. I'm sorry, I suppose I'm more of a newbie when it comes to this.

Becky