Re: unattended reboot for forced filesystem checks

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 09:04:08PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> politely shoot the people that do that ... :-0 or hitting the reset
>
> 	- most admins get tired and start to remove the power and reset
> 	switches .. to avoid that problem too
>
> 	- which leaves you the gui to shutdown or pull the plug
> 	and the pc is usually under the desk or far back on the desk
>
> 	- lots of other ways, besides bypassing fsck'ing
> 	( it's there to cover your butt .. a few seconds now will save
> 	( you days, months of time to try to recover a lost file

> that is a very very good thing

> that is an extreme bad thing, worst than those that hit the power or reset
> switch
> 	- its the same as "the car light came on for no water" so you
> 	bypass the step and disconnect the lights
>
> 	- one day, your disk will be too corrupted and you lose
> 	all your files ... or lose your car engine
>
> convience vs security is one thing ... but bypassing important time
> consuming steps is a bad bad thing
> 	- bypassing silly dumb steps is a good thing
>
> 	- knowing what's bad and what's good to bypass is up to you
>
> 	- and if its nothing else... use reiserfs, jfs, xfs instead
> 	as those are at least lot fsater at recover from power off
>
> and yup...i get lots of those "help, we lost some important files"
> for tommorrows meeting, and i say what did you do and been doing
> the past few months ...
> ( hint: did you hit reset/power to shutdown and go home )

Then what is the best way to make sure a box comes back up again after a
power failure without requiring user input?

I find this especially annoying on headless machines :( when it wants
a root passwd for maintenance.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a