Re: unattended reboot for forced filesystem checks

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 03:06:52PM +1100, Blake Swadling wrote:

> > > I have some machines here that are routinely turned off at the power
> > > button rather than using the correct shutdown procedure. when they are

politely shoot the people that do that ... :-0 or hitting the reset

	- most admins get tired and start to remove the power and reset
	switches .. to avoid that problem too

	- which leaves you the gui to shutdown or pull the plug
	and the pc is usually under the desk or far back on the desk

	- lots of other ways, besides bypassing fsck'ing
	( it's there to cover your butt .. a few seconds now will save
	( you days, months of time to try to recover a lost file

> > > restarted i get the usual error "filesystem not cleanly unmounted...".
> > > it then checks them and prompts me to hit ctrl-d.

that is a very very good thing

> > > Is there any way that I can force it to immediately reboot rather than
> > > prompting the user for input?

that is an extreme bad thing, worst than those that hit the power or reset
switch
	- its the same as "the car light came on for no water" so you
	bypass the step and disconnect the lights

	- one day, your disk will be too corrupted and you lose
	all your files ... or lose your car engine

convience vs security is one thing ... but bypassing important time
consuming steps is a bad bad thing
	- bypassing silly dumb steps is a good thing

	- knowing what's bad and what's good to bypass is up to you

	- and if its nothing else... use reiserfs, jfs, xfs instead
	as those are at least lot fsater at recover from power off

and yup...i get lots of those "help, we lost some important files"
for tommorrows meeting, and i say what did you do and been doing
the past few months ...
( hint: did you hit reset/power to shutdown and go home )

c ya
alvin