Re: Dual-screen configuration help needed

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:50:21 +0100, Dominique Dumont
<domi@komarr.grenoble.hp.com> wrote:

> Matthijs <vanaalten@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > My setup is more or less similar, except the missing Xinerama option.
> > According to some googling, this might be needed. Unfortunately adding
> > this option changes my two screens, drivers and framebuffers to simple
> > clone mode...
>
> Assuming you don't use Ati's proprietary drivers, I'd guess that
> something's wrong in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

I didn't know that another possibility existed: I used the ATI drivers
from the start. Found a nice manual on how to use the ATI drivers with
a self-compiled kernel on an N-Force2 board and got it working without
many problems.
So there are other drivers than ATI's? Mmmm... research, must do more
research...

> > Unfortunately, I can't experiment with this for the time being, due to
> > a very serious dual-screen problem: my second screen has moved to my
> > parents to temporarily replace a defective LCD screen...
> > Hopefully I can try some more in a week or so.

Situation unchanged - single monitor for now, so no experimenting with
Xinerama at the moment.

> You may want to try ATI's drivers. But they are rumoured to have their
> fair share of problems (I did not try them).

I haven't tested them extensively, but so far no problems (well,
Xinerama didn't work so far...)
Thanks for the feedback, I've got a few more approaches to try when I
get my monitor back!
--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com