Dual-screen configuration help needed

I'm basically in the process of upgrading from Windows-XP to Debian
Sarge - which means that I'm first trying to get Sarge to behave a bit
like Windows.

I've got a dual-monitor setup, using an ATI Radeon 9500 with a 17 inch
LCD and CRT connected to it. I've already got it working on Sarge:
installed the ATI driver and configured XFree86, running both screens
on 1280x1024.

What I had on Windows: two screens, windows of programs opened on
either the primary or secondary screen. The 'Start' bar was on the
right (primary) display. I could drag windows from one screen to the
other or expand them over both screens. Popup-windows appeared in the
center of either display.

Now I'm not yet sure what to choose in XFree86:
I've tried two screens with separate drivers and framebuffers. This
has disadvantages:
1) I cannot give the displays different backdrops; (cosmetic but I
like different backdrops)
2) I cannot drag windows from one display to the other.

I've tried two screens with a single driver and a big framebuffer.
This has disadvantages:
1) the 'start' bar (or whatever it's called in Gnome) spans the whole
two displays which means that the menu itself is on the far left - too
far for me. I would like the bar to span only the right display.
Sidebar is not what I want.
2) Popup-windows (and other windows) appear in the middle of the
framebuffer - so half on one display, half on the other. It would be
nice if windows woul open completely on either the primary or
secondary display. I know I can specify coordinates when I execute a
program, but this would not help with the various popup windows, I
think.

Perhaps most of it is a matter of getting used to a new system, but so
far it looks like dual screen on Windows is overall a bit more
userfriendly. Any hints on how to get Sarge to behave better? Tools or
applications specifically for dual screen configurations that I've
missed?

--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com