Re: Dual-screen configuration help needed

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:10:08 +0100, Alvin Oga
<aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Dominique Dumont wrote:
>
> > Matthijs <vanaalten@hotmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > My setup is more or less similar, except the missing Xinerama option.
> > > According to some googling, this might be needed. Unfortunately adding
> > > this option changes my two screens, drivers and framebuffers to simple
> > > clone mode...
>
> you can add xinerame in the XF86Config  file or on the startx commandline
>
> xinerama is NOT needed, but is only needed if:  you expect to move an
> xterm from one display to another

Not just xterms, any window! I like the freedom of moving an
application window to my secondary screen whenever it's less
interesting.

> or you can also move xterms around the hardway
> 	export DISLAY=localhost:0.1
> 	xterm --> will now pop up on your other screen

I see you're more of a command-line user than GUI user... I'm more
used to going to a menu and selecting 'open terminal'. And then
dragging it to the required position.

> "clone" mode ???? as in both screens is the same ??

Yes, that's what I got when I added the xinerama option to a working
dual screen/driver/framebuffer setup.

--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com