Re: Dual-screen configuration help needed

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:30:18 +0100, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Matthijs wrote:
>
> >Now I'm not yet sure what to choose in XFree86:
> >I've tried two screens with separate drivers and framebuffers. This
> >has disadvantages:
> >1) I cannot give the displays different backdrops; (cosmetic but I
> >like different backdrops)
> >2) I cannot drag windows from one display to the other.
>
> I'm no expert, but here's what works for me (your #1 above is still a
> problem, but 2 works); it's the relevant sections of my XF86Config-4 file.
>
> [snap]
> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier      "Two-Headed Beastie"
>         Screen          "Left Screen" Leftof "Right Screen"
>         Screen          "Right Screen"
>         Option          "Xinerama"
>         InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
>         InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
> EndSection

Thanks for the info!
My setup is more or less similar, except the missing Xinerama option.
According to some googling, this might be needed. Unfortunately adding
this option changes my two screens, drivers and framebuffers to simple
clone mode...
I also get DRI initialisation errors, might be related.

Unfortunately, I can't experiment with this for the time being, due to
a very serious dual-screen problem: my second screen has moved to my
parents to temporarily replace a defective LCD screen...
Hopefully I can try some more in a week or so.

--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com