Re: CD burner not working with kernel 2.6

Wayne Topa wrote:

I know it is frustrating when your knee deep in mud and trying to get
out but the more info you give the better it is for someone to help.
I've been there as well so no need to apologize.

Now for the question.  Did you find what the problem was _and_ what
was the solution?  Just so others might benifit.
I found out what the problem was, and I don't have a solution but I do have
a workaround. See the message with subject:

"CD burner not working with kernel 2.6 (update, I know what's going on)"

Executive summary: libata is used by default when SATA is available, but
it doesn't support PATA devices yet. Initially I was going to put the burner
in my server, but it occured to me that I had a promise ATA controller
lying around somewhere so I decided
to give that a shot.

I connected the burner to that and it's recognized and it works fine.
Apparently the bug is limited to breaking PATA support only for the chipset
that has SATA support. As the promise controller is a completely different
device, it works fine.

It's profoundly annoying as I will eventually need that card, but I'm willing
to live with it for now. As long as the kernel people STOP BREAKING THINGS.

This is about the 4th time a post-2.6.0 bug has personally affected me. The
kernel developers are dreaming if they think the distros have access to the
variety of systems required to stabalize their kernels properly (had problems
more or less like this with SUSE, if anyone has the money they do).

Even Windows doesn't break this much.