Re: CD burner not working with kernel 2.6

Wayne Topa wrote:

I hardly ever use that but when he ignored the error prompt
"For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'" I got kind of fed up.

I'm not embarassed if it helped him find his problem.
To be fair, I did ignore the error prompt and I deserved a "RTFM". I don't think you were being unreasonable. I think you were trying to eliminate the obvious misconfiguration errors, which is a reasonable strategy for a list like this. This is
the first time I've seen Linux fail to use a CD drive as well.

In my deffense, I was frustrated because the kernel was telling me "device not
supported, ignored". I was positive cdrecord wouldn't be producing any
useful diagnostics because no device files existed for the CD drive, period. It's not like cdrecord can find a device that 'ls /dev' cannot, no matter what arguments you give it. As a result, I was pretty rushed in the commands I typed for posting
here.

It turns out I was right, but I should have done better with my posts. I apologize
for that.